Tuesday, August 24, 2010

soups on.

Last night I attended a techniques class with my friend Allison at our local Williams Sonoma. It was on dairy, and it was GREAT. Pamela, {our teacher} was very knowledgeable and did a wonderful job. We learned how to make our own ricotta, butter, bruchetta, and got to sample a few wonderful items using a lot of Jaime Oliver products. {of which I bought the product above...it is AMAZING}

Allison and I have also taken a class {that we paid for} at a kitchen/bath design firm with a wonderful chef. That class was also beneficial and very hands on which is very enjoyable.

If you enjoy cooking I HIGHLY recommend checking out cooking classes in your area...first off starting off by scoping out your local W.Sonoma for a free class that may interest you.

So, while we are on the subject of cooking... I've deemed it soup week at my casa, with the exception of Wednesday night as we are having dinner with our church body.

Last night was CHILI. I don't know if that technically counts as a soup, but I'm going to go ahead and go with it. Most recipes usually call for more beef but I personally like more beans, but you can certainly add another lb.or two.{plus it may last longer}

Anne's Chili {an adaptation of recipes from my Mother and Mother-in-law}

[ these are the brands I used]
chili

1 lb. grass fed beef {or turkey or buffalo would be great too}
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
1 can baked beans {I've added 2 when I want LOTS of beans}
1 can garbanzo beans
1 1/2teas. cumin
1 teas. oregano
1 teas. chili powder
1 teas. chipotle powder
.5 teas. cocoa powder
1/3 teas.sugar

brown beef and onion {drain excess liquid}
pour in all ingredients in pot and mix well. Simmer on low for two hours to make everything tender. Test your chili and add more of whatever you like. All my measurements are rough as I tend to just pour in without measuring and adjust accordingly.



Mix with sour cream if you'd like {that's a biggie in our casa} and top with some fresh grated cheese. We also sometimes like to mix some macaroni pasta in with our chili. YUM.
ENJOY.

On the menu Tonight: Spicy Zucchini Soup


No comments: