Wednesday, June 06, 2007

the high (heeled) life I never had.

"Woman ask me all the time to see my shoes, and when I lift up my pant leg they are disappointed that I am wearing flip-flops." -Sarah Jessica Parker.
(*ps- a little side note...check out SJP's new line Bitten...nothing over $20, it is a beautiful thing)


I have tried to do the whole high- heels thing. I guess they made you more girly, and I have always been more of a tomboy. I love girly things, but I also love my gym shoes. After Sara borrowed us all her Sex and the City DVDs which we became instantly addicted to, and Just and I (yes, my husband loved the show) watched all the seasons within a matter of two weeks. I, as with any woman who has watched the show felt I had a renewed sense of style.
One of the biggest fashion loves of Carrie (Sarah Jessica) is her beloved shoes....more specifically her Manolo Blahnik heels. These heels are known for their high style and highness. They are crazy.
A few years ago I was going to try and wear heels... everyday. The first week went OK. Alright, who am I kidding it was awful. There was no way I was going to admit that though since plenty of woman do wear them everyday. Actually, the first day was not bad, the heels I wore were actually comfortable but after about the third day my feet just did not feel right. I think I lasted a week. If that. In fact I hated them and quite frankly never wanted to see them again.
I have come to grips with the fact that I am not a high-heeled woman. It could have been amazing relationship, I could have known what it was to be taller, I could own some really beautiful shoes, but it just wasn't meant to be for me and the stilletto. Out went all high heels except for one black pair, (that are wearable for about one wedding ceremony and reception) and my very special pair I just cannot part with although I probably will never wear them again. I do own a few pair of wedge sandals and those are much more doable but the heels had to go. Had to.
Nowadays I long for a fun pair of wedges, some cute flats, and more than anything a great pair of sneakers. Love the things, and you know what I still feel like a darn cute gal in my pink pumas thankyouverymuch!

9 comments:

Ashleigh said...

I used to wear shoes with heels ALL the time, until I had kids. Just not practical for chasing them all over. Now, it's hard for me to wear heels because I'm not used to them anymore.

Bethany said...

I still love a good high heeled to the knee boot!!! HEE HEE. And I think these super high heeled shoes are so cute but would only wear rarely. Who can chase kids in heals no way. I would injure myself. But man calves sure looks so much better in heels.

Zoanna said...

I used to wear high heels when I had calves. Now I'm a cow with arthritis. Get the picture? I prefer as many square inches on my soles as I can get. I try to get girly lookin' stuff going on the top of the foot instead.

Zoe said...

Heels!! My bestfriend and I growing up marveled at her mom because I kid you not she could run a marathon in heels. And I was lucky to make it down the wedding isle with the short heels I wore!
Love the flops and sneakers! I have fat feet heels never fit right.

Anonymous said...

I wear heels a lot and am very ungraceful. I have a hysterical story about them and I think I'm going to post it today!

I never did see the show S&C that you are mentioning, but SJP has great style and I try and stay dressed nicely most days, but let's face it, it's just not practical!

Anonymous said...

I'm not a high-heeled girl either. I've never had a reason to wear them much. They were pretty impractical at work. With all my walking too and from the bus, plus since my job often required me to be doing manual labor, my feet would die. I've heard that more expensive high heels are more comfortable, but I've never worn them enough to invest in them! I love the way they look though. They're very sexy and make your legs look great. I pretty much just wear them for weddings and that's it.

tara said...

thanks for the tip on SJP new line! There's a store not to far from my house that will carry it. I'm all about inexpensive fashion!!

Anonymous said...

I like you shorter than me.

Sara said...

It's so funny that you posted about this topic. I just returned from a wedding in Panama (will post pics soon!) where I had to wear heels two nights in a row. I just about DIED. After the first night, my feet were so swollen that my arch (that is usually really high) was touching the ground!! I think my mom thought I was crazy, but I'm just not meant for high heels.
The second night, I wore flip flops (with little sequins on them, so they weren't beachy flip flops) to the wedding, slipped into my heels for about an hour, then slipped back into the flip flops. It was a must, lest my feet literally fall off my ankles.
I don't know how women do that!