Tuesday, July 24, 2007

lately...is sticking around in more than one way.

My head is about to pop off.
Sometimes I think it is really going to.
Monday was hard. I was just really tired because I just was.
I had this splitting headache all day, and I was upset because Justin was going to play golf after work ( how dare he have fun!)...which was nice because the boys and I had Mac and Cheese for dinner, but that meant three more hours of pure motherhood joy. We actually did accomplish a lot, I did the laundry, we went to the pool, we had a nice walk, but it was a long day.

Today, started off fine. Slept in a bit, had a decent breakfast, and by decent I mean the boys, as they had grapes and cereal while I chomped on the last chocolate chip cookie. Then off to Target to pick up some household items and a few food items. We are about done and Evan is getting crabby for a nap. I hold him for awhile, refill his cup with juice and he is happy again. We are heading for the registers to check out and I begin to see the beginnings of a Maxwell meltdown. I ask what he wants, and he wants to go the other way. To where? Who knows.

My keen motherly eyes scan the nearby shelf and spot some animal crackers. Child accepts and we move into the check out line. Usually Max likes to help out and put the items we are purchasing on the belt, but not today. He is not interested in leaving this store. He is starting to whine. I quickly begin tossing all our items unto the counter and he is losing it more. I tell him to stop... why bother? The whining is beginning to turn more into a cry and he is getting louder. It seems like the cashier is taking FOREVER to bag our items, like she needs to read each label on each package because she did not realize they sold disinfectant wipes. Or maybe I am just being paranoid.

Now, I know I am not the first Mom, nor the last this has happened to. CONFESSION: In fact, when other kids are acting out in stores I usually whisper into my eldest sons ear,

" He is being a naughty boy, we don't act that ways in stores."

I KNOW. Can you believe me?

When this is happening to you though, it feels so hard to believe it is real, and it sure feels like all eyes are on you, judging you, and this has never ever happened before in the history of shopping with children. Never.

I feel my face red hot with anger as we get to the car. As we are departing the parking lot, Maxwell begins to act all sweet, and I reply with a simple,

"Don't talk to me right now." in a talk to the hand tone.

Like he gets it.

We get in the house, I unload the bags, give Maxwell his gift of punishment, and attempt to sit. It is not long before Evan is attacking Max because he has something he wants and they are about to start a war. I swoop in and suggest going out in the yard. Out we go, and soon Maxwell is busy hitting a golf ball around the yard, and Evan is pushing trucks around the deck. Peace.

I look at the clock and it is 4:45. The dinner I have planned is going to take about an hour to prepare, plus I know I will have distractions along the way, so I better get it started. There is a ring at the door and a long red box is in the hands of the UPS driver.

I didn't order anything....at least that I can recall (sometimes I swear I order stuff in my sleep).
I thank him, and open the box. A bouquet of flowers and a note from my husband.

Suddenly today does not seem so bad after all.

Usually most days are not so bad...just going through a thing right now I guess. Parenthood is much different than we expect, as is with much of life, but I guess that's part of what makes life so exciting.

I've said it before and I will say it again, God is good and God is constant. He is and always will be and learning to understand him and his will for me and my life makes it easier to help me to find myself.

Nobody ever said motherhood was easy, but who knew it could be so hard sometimes...and I swear the next time someone asks what I do all day as a stay at home Mom I am going to seriously reply;
"Absolutely nothing. I lay on the couch eating Krispy Kremes, drinking coffee, and if I have the energy watch Days of our Lives,and then maybe follow it up with Guiding Light. It is the life."

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha, that last paragraph made me laugh!

I know what you mean though. The past few weeks have been tough with the boys. I don't know what's going on. They've gone from feeding once at night to feeding twice at night (isn't supposed to be the other way around?) plus waking up at other odd times at night, like just an hour after feeding. I'm getting less sleep now than when a month ago! And it's not a growth spurt, as far as I can tell. And when one takes a good nap in the crib the other one won't and cries the whole time!

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent!

That was so sweet of your husband, by the way!

Sarah said...

Aww how sweet of your husband.

And, "He is being a naughty boy, we don't act that ways in stores" made me laugh! I say just about the same thing to my little brother. But, I try to point out good kids, too, so that he knows that's how he SHOULD act. Usually if I tell him beforehand how he is supposed to act and what will happen if he doesn't, he does well.

I know the embarrassment from shopping with defiant kids! I am a little relieved though, because as a cashier, I see it quite often, so I know I'm not alone, even when, as you said, it does seem like it!

Ashleigh said...

Anne, you managed to capture the humor of situations that are far from humorous in the midst of them. I loved this post and could relate. We've had shopping trips like that many times. Our most recent shopping trip to Target included, "What am I going to get?" being asked over and over and over again.

Fortunately, I haven't ever had anyone ask me, "So what do you do all day as a stay-at-home mom?" Not sure I could take that one ...

Hang in there! Since my girls are about the same age as your boys, I know what it's like. You're right it can be hard. But I just tell myself, "It's only a season." And then when I do, I get all teary eyed thinking of a time when my days won't be full of diapers and sippy cups and tantrums at the store. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

aww, I can really relate. That was really sweet of Justin to send your flowers. That last paragraph was really funny. I remember once when a neighbor of mine said to me that she couldn't "just stay home with her daughter" and that "I'd be bored at home all day, how do you do it"? I'm like "girl, if you're bored at home that's a GOOD DAY TO ME!!!" It would be so much easier to just drop them off in someone else's care and then pick them up about dinner time, but that's not way that God has intended for you (and me thank the Lord) and know that you are doing a wonderful task as a servant to the Lord and a dear Mommy to your babies and wife to your hubby by doing just what you do. Way to go, Anne!

Now, if I could just get my hands on some Krispy Kreme's :-)

Zoe said...

Anne, Thank you! Today so far has been a DAY for Paul and I. I went to a store to return a jacket I bought. First Paul is running in the clothes rack, then in the window display...So I pick him up and he starts screaming and hitting me. (My son has a flair for the dramatics.) The store seems to have plenty of associates but only one checkout lady who seems to be taking a zillion years...then when it is my turn she asks would you like to look around for something else? I about died laughing!
Anyhow thanks again for sharing, I don't feel so alone in the mommy battle field!

Craig, Robyn, Noah and Kaiden... said...

Ha ha ha...Sorry Anne but I had to have a little giggle at that story! I have totally been there myself, I think I could have writtent hat exact same story for you. Don't you just love shopping with kids...
I'm a stay at home Mum too and I'm afraid I have had that "what do you do all day?" line given to me...Like you said, I lounge around on the couch watching soapies and my nanny looks after the kids and my maid does all the house work - yeah right!
Some people have no idea! Motherhood is the best job in the world...but it's also the hardest and sometimes most frustrating job in the world!
That was so sweet of Justin to send you flowers...do you think you could get him to email Craig to drop him a few hints please?! ;-)

Ashleigh said...

OK, I have to ask where you got the picture to go with this post. Love it!

Bethany said...

I can totally relate. My boys are usually out of control on shopping trips and if they are angels then I will get it the next time. HEE HEE. I loved reading your post it made me laugh. And how sweet of your husband to send you flowers.

The other day I sat down to nurse and as soon as I did Jude starts yelling from the bathroom that he pooped and needs me to wipe his butt and the dog puked all over the floor. Oh fun.

Zoanna said...

You have me rollin' in laughs, Anne. Thanks. I needed that. I was just about out of the I-hate-shopping-with-kids stage when my oldest turned 8. Two years later was pregnant so got to start over. But it sure helps to have a sense of humor--and a paddle that looks familiar. My hubby did a sweet thing like yours one day when I called him at the office (had a 3,2, and and 10-month old at the time) and I was crying and whining. "All I do all day long is spank, spank, spank!" After naptime the doorbell rang and there was a dozen red roses. I cried even harder! I subsequently became known at his office as "the wife that gets flowers when she spanks and cries." That's enough to make you want to thrwo a box of moldy donuts.