Wednesday, May 23, 2007

But I want to swim.

It is HOT here. I mean it is in the 80's which is not so bad, no need for the AC to go on yet or anything, but any extended amount of time spend outdoors makes one quite warm.

Naturally, I bought a pool for the boys. No, not just a small wading pool but a larger blow up pool, so I can go in with them.

Anyway,Tuesday morning I begin the set-up process. I realize we have no needle for our hand pump so we run out and grab one. After we get home I get some toys out for the boys to keep them preoccupied while I get the pool ready. I am thinking it will take 10-20 minutes.

So here I am pumping up this pool looking like a complete fool... I am completely out of shape and feeling back muscles pulling like they never have pulled before...and it has been 20 minutes. There are three chambers to be filled and the first one I am pumping air into still has no signs that any air has entered. I check to make sure there are no holes, and that air is actually going in. Sure is.

30 minutes in and I am feeling sick, The sun is beating down on me and I did not eat anything yet that morning.

Meanwhile I hear kids laughing and splashing a few houses down as they enjoy their inground pool. I think what morons we are for not getting a house with a pool...then remember that with two little ones it makes me nervous not to metion the upkeep on those babies.

I tell the boys we have to go in and I lay down for 20 minutes. After getting the boys some lunch I gaze out the window at the pathetic looking blob in my yard and say forget it, I will do it tomorrow.

Here we are Weds. and my goal today is to get at least one chamber filled before noon, the bottom one since it is the biggest. About 15 minutes in I am done with this thing. I am so mad I just stomp all my hard pumped air out by stomping all over that dang thing. My neighbors must think I am a nut.

Around 2 we get back home and I quickly fill the plastic mold pool in about 1 minute get the boys suits on and the rest of the afternoon is filled with cool water fun.

Who needs to go in when you have two crazy boys who will get you soaked just fine on their own?

4 comments:

Bethany said...

Those blow up pools are a pain huh. I need to go get a plastic one for the boys. They prefer the hose over everything...I guess it is the control they have. HEE HEE

Anonymous said...

That was a funny story! Glad you fixed the problem and you're all wet and cool now!

Zoe said...

We have a blow up pool that even has these blow up slides...needless to say the slides never get blown up...even though we do have a little air compressor.
Enjoy the pool!

Ashleigh said...

OK, that was too funny. Probably because I could so see myself going through the same ordeal. I tried a pop up pool last year. It lasted about a week before I decided just to get a plastic one. It was finally warm enough a few days ago to put it outside. Hooray!