Monday, May 19, 2008

the hives mystery...


And no...I'm not talking about the Swedish rock band.
Sunday morning I woke up to an itch. I noticed a red rash all over and the scratching like a monkey began. During church I still was itchy but the morning sickness was getting to me more. I felt sick the whole service and finally afterward began to feel better as we left for home. I took a long nap that afternoon and was all itchy and red that night. We had a meeting at church at which I spent the whole time itching, and at home that night before bed covered myself from head to toe with Aveeno Oatmeal anti-itch lotion. Ahhh...that felt better.
I slept well but this morning woke up all itchy again with the rash everywhere, it spread to my hands which were also swelling. Nice.
I called my Dad (the Doc) and he told me to call my Doctor to see if they could squeeze me in today.
I dropped the boys off at Chad & Mel's to play while I headed in. Of course as soon as I sat down in the waiting room my itching had seriously subsided and I couldn't find any of the red bumps that had been there earlier. Nice.
I felt like I was in an episode of Seinfeld, contemplating whether I should run for it our go ahead with the appointment and look like a nut who frequents the Doctors office. I went for the latter, surely the Dr. would know that I'm completely not insane.
I finally get in and there is nothing to look at. He asks if recently I changed detergents or anything like that, and I haven't. He finally concluded it could have been the pre-natal pill I had been trying out this past week, but I really didn't think that was it since I didn't take one yesterday. I had no idea what else it could be though. So I left, feeling like a fool...although he did tell me to take some Claritin which I have yet to do.
Tonight though, it came back. All over. So I'm not crazy, just itchy.
I never go to the Doctor, I usually ride things out unless I am deathy ill or dealing with something untolerable, but being pregnant I felt like I should go in especially after this mornings rash on my face and hands.
Anyway, there you have it...if you have read this far I applaud you...the life I lead, it's exciting isn't it? Hopefully in the meantime I'll get this whole rash thing figured out.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have a Brillo pad?

:-)

Michelle said...

That's funny. I just went through something similar last week. Sunday I had spent the day doing yard work. That night my neck (the only exposed skin that day) started getting bumpy and itchy. It didn't spread but it drove me nuts.

I finally went in a few days later and they gave me steroid cream & told me to take claratin during the day and benedryl at night. It's taken about a week but it's finally subsiding. They said they weren't sure what it was but it was all treated the same way (I got the "have you tried new detergents or lotions lately" questions too.)

I read the insert for the cream and it said there have been no tests on pregnant women so it shouldn't be used by pregnant women. I hope you find something that works for you! I HATE itching.

Anonymous said...

I don't want to scare you or anything, but there is some sort of itch that some women get when they're pregnant that's hormone related. I hope that's not it (I think it usually comes on later in the pregnancy, but I know of several women who've had it). But it certainly could be pregnancy related!

Anonymous said...

From what I hear it is normal to develop rashes like that during pregnancy. My sister-in-law had it. She was fine and it eventually went away. Sorry you have to go through that ;(

Les said...

Are you stressed?? I had a 5 day stint of the same thing when a lot of changes were going on and we were getting ready to leave the country. My DR gave me some anti-itch meds. Or maybe it is allergy related.

Zoe said...

I have a friend who had an itchy pregnancy. She used lots of anti-itch cream. Or maybe you just grew into an allergy...housework?