Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Habakkuk

"Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the Lord I will be joyful in God my Savior!"-
Habakkuk 3:17,18

I have come across this verse more than once in the last week, and it is not even one of the books of the Bible I am currently reading through. Coming across it several times though made me think about it more.

Life can be so overwhelming. We all have trials and no matter how big or small, it can be hard to stay focused on the Lord. When it seems all has gone wrong, not the way we wanted or hoped for, when all seems lost, this the most crucial time that we turn to the Lord. He may not respond the way we want, or even at all but we still must rejoice in him. He is Lord, sovereign over all things and in complete and total control! This is amazing in itself, but in our fallen world, where there is so much wrong, hurt, sin, greed, sadness, and so on, we get caught within the shambles of the darkness of our world. Back to the word, "...yet I will rejoice in the Lord I will be joyful in God my Savior." The future with our Savior brings us hope, helps us to cope with everyday life. To live life for him. To rejoice in him daily despite what happens each new day, even though we so often cannot understand it, we know that God has better things in store.

4 comments:

Danielle said...

That's one of my favorite verses . . . it so visually describes that even if all these things were gone, I'd still praise the Lord.

Zoe said...

Anne, mmm how true. Since Chris and I have been back, and before that, our church has been praying for a young man who was dying with cancer. We would commit to an hour or 1/2 hour a week. The whole time we were praying for him all he wanted us to do was to be praising God. He was such an awesome witness. I mean so many things were going not as he planned and he just wanted to praise God. He has passed and left behind a wife and a 2 year old and I keep thinking why? But this verse reminds me of his witness and I know I just have to praise God. Have Faith. Thanks Anne, sorry for the long comment.

Suzanne said...

Great verse. Anne, I loved "Girl Meets God." I've read it more than once and highly recommend it!

Danielle said...

I second Winner's book! I read it last year and loved it!