Sunday, March 05, 2006

and the Oscar goes to...

A Brentwood housewife and her D.A. husband. A Persian store owner. Two police detectives who are also lovers. An African-American television director and his wife. A Mexican locksmith. Two car-jackers. A rookie cop. A middle-aged Korean couple. They all live in Los Angeles. And during the next 36 hours, they will all collide.
This powerful film is unforgettable. Justin and I saw it first about 6 months ago, and I still talk about it. While inappropriate for young children, as an adult it was so draining. Dealing with racism in many different ways this film is amazing. So many emotions, so intense, yet a film I am glad I did not miss .

2 comments:

Sara said...

I completely agree. Definitely worthy of 2 hours of your life.

George Clooney's chat with the press was really interesting last night. Because was a year of maverick film makers and films reflecting social commentary, he was asked if he thought that film reflected society or pulled society with it. He said that he felt that film has always been about 2 years behind the social dialogue. I hope for our future's sake that he is right - if society is heading in this direction (where racism is something we address as a society and try to overcome with love, acceptance, and understanding), then with help from God, our children will not know racism. I pray that it becomes a thing of the history books. How quickly we forget that Jesus was the first to preach love and acceptance, that he loved all men and women equally. Perhaps we should follow His lead?

Sorry to go on and on in a comment, but Anne, you know this is a subject that is very close to my heart. :)

Danielle said...

I've heard good things about it, it looks interesting.