Wednesday, March 29, 2006

the kindness of strangers...


Last night Justin was at a Bucks game with his Dad, brother Jordan, and sister Joelle, so Maxwell and I ventured out to Starbucks for a decaf non-fat latte. I had a craving. While we were there a older couple who used to come in when I worked at Starbucks came in for their usual drinks. Two venti chai's...I know people by what they drink, not their names.
(Oh, yeah on a side note, I also saw a local celebrity, Greg Jeske...my Mom will be impressed, she loves seeing newscasters in real life. He was on his way to the station I think for the 10:00 news.)
Anyway we were catching up, they were talking about their grandchildren, and I about what was going on with us. Meanwhile Maxwell was scoping out the organic milk in the cooler, I sometimes buy some for him, so he was eyeing it up to perhaps get some. I decided it would be a good snack for the evening so grabbed one, handed it to Maxwell and told the barista ringing people up I was getting one. A voice behind me said, " I got that, and I will take one of those cranberry oatmeal bars too." I turned around and found my former customer giving the girl his cash for my sons drink. "Thank you so much, that was really nice of you."
We chatted a little more and they headed out the door. Maxwell and I sat for awhile, at his request (he is so cute when he climbs up on the chairs and sits like an adult ready to relax and chat with his Mom at a coffee shop, he does it a lot, there is a coffee place right down our block and there is a kids area which he will play in but then he will come sit with me, I will read the paper, he some books) and I smiled to myself, so thankful for the experience I had just had. I remembered that more than once I had not charged them for their drinks, and I guess they wanted to repay the favor, but they did not have to. It was such a nice gesture. It is those little things in life...

1 comment:

Danielle said...

How sweet!