Saturday, August 12, 2006

E.J.'s first hour of life...


8lbs. 8oz.



first meeting...

Evan and Daddy

Evan and Mommy

Dr. Heifner and Evan

Monday August 7th. I went to my Dr. appointment in the morning and had lost 2 lbs. The nurse mentioned that it was a sign of oncoming labor.
I did not get my hopes up.
The rest of Monday was spent with Maxwell...we went for a long walk, had a dance party together in our living room (yes, I said dance party...it was fun for both of us although I am sure I looked utterly ridiculous), and went for a long walk again in the evening with Daddy. At about 11 tht night Just and I were getting ready for bed, I was having some light contractions about every 10 minutes, when I felt this punch in my lower abdomen and headed for the bathroom. Just as I got in my water broke. Shocked me! So we called the hospital to let them know we would be there soon, and called my Mom to come spend the night with Maxwell.
We get to the hospital around 1:30am and my contractions are about 6 minutes apart at this point. We check in and at about 3 am. Dr. Heifner shows up. The nurse came in and said
"Your doctor is here, and he is wearing chinos and a button down!" She thought it was hillarious that he had dressed up so much to come in so early in the morning. It was a good chuckle.
He said they wanted to wait until my contractions were more intenese and closer together to check and see how dialated I was (risk of infection since my water had broken). Justin tried to sleep a little and I tried to as well. About 15 minutes total I got.
Anyway, Dr. Heifner came back a few hours later and my contractions were still about 6 minutes apart. He decided to start some pitocin to get them coming more.
Well it worked.
At about noon on Tuesday they really began coming bad, hard and close. I spent the next few hours laboring and at about 4:30 they checked, I was fully dialated and ready to push. Oh, and I did get an epidural...but it did not work for some reason. So the contractions were really coming HARD because of the darn pitocin. Let me tell you I had an epidural with Max (over 36 hours of labor) and LOVED it, recommended it to all, so feeling it all...was rough to say the least.
So here I am, pushing for what seemed like an eternity, sweating like a wild beast, screaming so loud I am sure the whole floor could hear me. I was suprised that I screamed like I did, I only cried when I was in labor with Max. Closer and closer I was coming to delivering this baby, and more and more people began coming in and more and more equipment kept coming out of the closet. I did not know if I was going to be able to do it. I do think everybody coming in and the equipment coming out helped me know it was almost over. I could feel him coming down and soon they saw his head and asked if I wanted to feel it. I said sure, then thought about it and changed my mind. They kept saying how close I was and I pushed with all I had in me, saying between contractions that I could not do this anymore! Everytime after pushing I could feel him wiggle back in! NO! Wrong way! I was thinking, why can't Dr. Heifner just grab his head and yank him out, I thought he was further out then he was, good thing I did not know that though. Justin said he was even thinking of just telling them to take me to get a c-section , he hated seeing me this way.
With one last final really hard push he came! I could not believe I did it. I was elated! Justin cried, Dr. Heifner came and kissed my forehead he was so excited too! Later Dr. Heifner and the nurses admitted to me that they were not sure if it was going to happen since I was so worn out, but somehow I did. I honestly believe though if Justin, Dr. Heifner and my nurses were not there cheering me on, being so good to me and saying all the right things, I don't know if I could have done it. As I was pushing I bit my lip so hard when it was over I felt how swollen they were, Justin said my lips looked like Angelina Jolies. I cannot believe I did that! But Evan was finally here! He was so small, alright he is no preemie but compared to Max, our little Evan is a peanut. He is such a good baby so far, never really cries and is easy to please. We love him so much! I think the only time we were alone at the hospital was during the night, but we loved all our visitors!!
It was pretty funny because Dr. Heifner told me that another woman had heard my story, (having a v-bac after a c-section) and her Dr. was not willing to try with her so she called, Dr. Heifner!
Maxwell came to the hospital for the first time that night. He was a little nervous clinging to his puppy and kissing it, nevous about how Mommy looked. But he was so cute with Evan once we introduced them. He kept kissing him on the head. It was so sweet! I hope they become good friends!
We came home Thursday afternoon, and are working on getting some order back in our lives and catching up on sleep!
I thank God for this wonderful gift he has given us. We love you Evan.

7 comments:

Sara said...

He really is a beautiful newborn and looks so much like Max! I loved seeing him yesterday (and you guys, too....haha!). He seems like a good, easy baby. It'll be so great to watch him grow up with Max as a big brother - I wonder what tricks Max will teach him!
Well done, you two - he's wonderful!

Tara said...

He is beautiful! I love all the pictures, especially the sweet ones with him & Max. What a hard labor & delivery you had... worth every minute I know. Great job! Enjoy getting your little one!

Tara said...

sorry didn't mean to say getting :-)

sarah said...

you are truly blessed!! he surely is beautiful. your labor story gave me goosebumps...maybe thats because its in my cards, too. :) the pictures of evan and max are priceless!! congratulations again, and dont forget to take care of yourself, too!

Ashleigh said...

Anne, he's beautiful! Congrats!

I had an epidural with Ava that didn't work either. I think it's a lot harder to endure the pain when we're expecting not to feel it. So I felt for you when reading your experience. Glad Evan's here!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations again! Enjoyed hearing your "labor" story! The picture of Max kissing his new brother's head is so adorable!

Bethany said...

I had one of those non working epidurals with Jude. Actually I think if they had checked me first they would not have given it to me. Because as soon as it was in I looked at them and said I need to push NOW. And it HURT. I am so glad it is all over for you and he is here. Wish I all could see and hold him. I LOVE little newborns. Take lots of pics. They get big soooo fast. You know that though. Thanks for sharing your story and all the fun pics.