Monday, May 01, 2006

April showers, May flowers?


Today is May 1st right? Who would have guessed, it is raining...and it is supposed to keep up all week long. I am holding out hope that the sun will peak out here and there though!
We had a pretty chill weekend, well Justin actually was working pretty hard on his final research proposal due today, but as for Max and I we did a lot of relaxing and a few fun outings. After putting Maxwell to bed Saturday night I thought about what I had just prayed with him, that he might grow and love the Lord, that Justin and I would be good examples to him through our love for Christ, and that we might daily seek him to know him more. Sure I prayed this, but am I putting it into action?
Thinking about it more, of course I am not. Other than praying with Max at night we do not spend time talking with him about God or reading children's books (that I do have) with Bible stories, even though he may not fully understand them yet. At his age he does a lot of observing, he is developing his vocabulary and watches a lot of what Justin and I do. So, spending time ( a set aside time during the day I do it at night when he is in bed, but who says I cannot do it twice a day) each day in the word would be good for him to observe. If he wants to sit with me I can read out loud what I am reading even though he does not understand the words. This is just one idea.
Justin and I were supposed to attend a seminar at church about a month ago about this very thing, but we missed it due to being too busy...of course. Lame excuse, we need to make it to the next one, I am sure it would be very helpful to us both.
It is God's will that the family be preserved and that parents assume primary responsibility under God for getting Biblical knowledge into the heads and hearts of their children.
Proverbs 23:24,25. -"The father of the righteous shall greatly rejoice; and he that begets a wise child shall have joy in him. Your father and your mother shall be glad, and she who bore you shall rejoice."

8 comments:

sarah said...

what awesome thoughts, anne. your children will grow up knowing the importance of God in your life and theirs. you're right, no matter what age, kids watch their parents and copy what they do. you've inspired me to be more proactive in this as well. thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Anne, a lot of my friends with kids recommend "The Big Picture Story Bible." Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1581342772/ref=ase_thechildrshou-20/104-5431835-7179166?s=books&v=glance&n=283155&tagActionCode=thechildrshou-20

I’ll be praying for wisdom in the area for you and Justin.

Bethany said...

Oh I second Danielle's recommendation. My kids love that book. Another they really like is My ABC Bible Verses...Here is the link
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1581340052/sr=8-1/qid=1146782273/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-2102076-4043202?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Both my two year old and five year old have memorized verses out of this and they love the stories. They are also wonderful to point to when correcting or observing things throughout the day.

Another book I love as a mom is A Mother After God's Own Heart. Very convicting in a loving way yet she gives wonderful practical steps. It is by Elizabeth George.

Anonymous said...

Hallo I absolutely adore your site. You have beautiful graphics I have ever seen.
»

Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»

Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»

Anonymous said...

Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»