Thursday, June 22, 2006

maternity fashion...what I can offer.



This one's for you Danielle. (and I have no idea who that woman in the picture is, but you all have seen someone like her before have you not?)

So, it's true...the days of wearing big jumpers and mu-mu (spelling?) dresses are over at least for some of us. In my opinion the big tent things should all be burned, never to be seen again. In the fashion world today being cute while pregnant is now more possible than it ever was. The problem though is this.... most of the maternity boutiques are expensive, thus allowing you only to buy 3-5 (if your lucky) items to wear your whole pregnancy. Now if your like me, I enjoy clothes, sometimes a bit much and I admit I have a problem (but we will talk about that another time) so only having one pair of pants, a nice undershirt, and two shirts is not cool with me. So here is how I worked it out.

First off, use what you already have. Gaucho pants are in right now and I have some, and have been able to wear them my whole pregnancy since they are made with a wide waistband. They sell maternity ones, but I do not think that it is necessary. Some women claim they can wear their normal pants the whole pregnancy under their belly, not me. I do not have big hips at all but they grow when pregnant, and there is no way my jeans are coming up past my thighs. I could wear most of my normal skirts most of my pregnancy too.
Another idea is to buy a few sizes bigger at a re-sale shop for cheap and they might work. My cousin Nicole got some cute shorts just a bigger size than she normally wears.
Wearing tight fitting to your belly shirts is also in. So even if your shirt is tight around your belly just wear a longer maternity tank underneath for the layered look. Button down shirts with just one or two buttons buttoned with a tee underneath looks cute too. I have found that my regular jackets are cute too. A jacket over a plain tee adds another element, looks cute. Something that my cousin has done which looks great too, is wearing her husbands plain white t shirts. They look super cute and fit her well.
As for buying maternity clothes, you really do not need too much. Perhaps a few tanks ( which I wear under everything) I got mine from Gap, two for like $18, and one nice pair of maternity pants. I LOATHE those big paneled pants that cover your whole belly, but my cousin Vanessa loves them . Anyway, just find a pair that you know you will love to wear over and over again. I have a pair of white pants with a small elastic band. They are fun.
Longer shirts are in right now, so I have been able to wear regular shirts as maternity shirts. I have gotten most from Old Navy which is very affordable. The last thing I would suggest, is scouring out those maternity stores. HIT those sales racks like you never hit a sales rack before. Our maternity boutiques here have quite a bit on the sale racks...they are jam-packed! But I found some really cute tops for under $20 and a maternity swimsuit (yikes!) that was $11. Can't beat that.
I do not claim to be an expert but that's what I can offer to you. Work with what you have, just buy a few key items to be worn over and over, and perhaps splurge on a top that you really love. Be in the mood to shop and you will come out successful and cute !! Happy pregnancy! (hopefully soon Danielle, because you will be one darn cute pregnant lady!)

7 comments:

Danielle said...

Thanks for your tips! And thanks for the assurance that I'll be a cute pregnant lady. I hope so! And sooner than later! :)

Bethany said...

Cute. I hate those bands on the pants too. I always rolled them down and then had this saggy butt thing going on. I love the pants that don't have bands that just sit low.

Can't forget underwear...I HATE maternity underwear. I just bought regular underwear big...much better.

Ashleigh said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ashleigh said...

Anne, great tips! You're so right -- maternity clothes can be so expensive. With both my pregnancies I ended up buying yoga pants from Old Navy in a bigger size and wearing them the entire pregnancy. I think I ended up with every kind of wasteband imaginable on pregnancy jeans. The full tummy ones were my least favorite but by the time I got to the last month it was hard to fit into anything else without my belly sticking out. Anyway, when we get pregnant with our next (which may be in the next year or so), I'm going to refer back to this.

sarah said...

What a great entry, Anne! Thanks for sharing your stylish tips. I (not quite so adept in that area) can use all the help I can get! You should try to submit this to a pregnancy magazine, you know.

Sara said...

I'm not sure anyone can compete with you as the cutest pregnant lady, so I won't try. But I may print this out and save these tips for when I'm pregnant. Or I'll just make you go shopping with me. :)

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»