Friday, October 20, 2006

me, my fat self, and I


I have had this post lingering in my saved drafts posts area for awhile now.
It is a scary post for me.
I am determined to never be a fat Mom.
Never to let my pant size reside in the double digits.
I am only 5'4' after all.

I know, I know, our culture is well insane. We all
need to be stick thin and have gorgeous faces
and long eyelashes (to bat) to be attractive. Blah,

blah! But it does get to me.

My friend Ashleigh has had two great posts about body after baby.
Dealing with the bulge.
She is resolving to get down to a size 8 and has a plan to do so.
I am proud (and jealous) of her plan!

My plan...
So far...eat less.
I am really bad about staying on a regular exercise routine.
Really bad.
I tried the whole running thing...mostly because
you look cool, but I am NOT a runner. I have
bad knees from soccer in high school. Plus asthma.
Lame excuses but really I HATE to run.
I am a swimmer.
The problem.
I have no pool and the bath tub just doesn't cut it.
I suppose I could drive somewhere and swim
a few times a week.
Too lazy.
I have to get into a routine. Have to.
I am taking advice. Any good workout videos out there?
I had a good one, until was snapped in half by my two year
old a few months ago.

I am coming up on three months of having Evan,
and I am only about five pounds from where I began.
But my goal is to lose a little extra since I had a little
extra to begin with. I gained about 15 lbs. very quickly
after Justin and I were married, plus working mornings
at Starbucks with lots of yummy pastries around did not help.

So my goal...lose 18 lbs. by Thanksgiving...making it about
3 lbs. a week. I started this week. I want to fit in my favorite
jeans again( get out of the 10's I am currently in), which are a size 6.
Is it feasible? Sure. Can I do it.
We shall see.
I gotta workout more.
My plea for help...and prayer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww. Hang in there. You can do it.

My best advice. Find a Friend!!!! Seriously. Having a friend meet you the same time everyday or several days a week makes a HUGE difference. I use to be an exercise fanatic but after babies it got hard. I could easily talk myself out of it. Even now they days I don't want to go I know that my friend Karen is waiting for me and I get my booty out of bed. If she calls that she is not going to be there I easily roll over and go back to sleep. So all that to say having a friend is the best way to stay in shape no matter what you decide to do to accomplish those goals.

As for exercise videos I love www.collagefitness.com

I love anything by Karen Voight. And I love pilates and like the windsor pilates videos...also have a couple method ones. I also really recommend the Cindy Crawford one after she had her baby...someone borrowed that from me and never returned it???? HMMM It is New Dimensions I think but I think it is only available on VHS. Have to say I prefer to walk and lift weights. I love to be outside.

Ashleigh said...

Anne, I'm praying for you. It's a struggle, but like Bethany said, you can do it! You really can!

I think Bethany's suggestion about having a friend is great. It adds accountability. Like I said in my post, one thing I like about Curves is the accountability aspect. Having people who expect to see me, ask where I was when I didn't show up, and help me stay on track toward my goals is exactly what I need.

Also, remember that Evan is only three months. So don't be too hard on yourself. It hasn't been that long since you were pregnant.

Oh, and I can totally relate to the gaining weight after getting married. I gained about 20 and still have that to lose.

It's going to be fun to look back a year from now and see how we're both wearing single digit jeans again!! :-)

Ashleigh said...

Oh, I have a stationary bike also, which is good for the backside. So I'm trying to ride that three times a week in addition to Curves. It's convenient because I can do it while I'm watching the kids or when they're napping.

Anonymous said...

I like the Kathy Smith 20 minute videos. When I can't walk/run outside due to cold or rain, these are easy. On my video there's a 20 min. upper body session and 20 min. lower body session, plus a 10 minute ab concentration. Easy to fit in if you have a half an hour.