Tuesday, October 24, 2006

prayer.

"Anyone who has been on the Christian way for a while knows there are times when our private prayers run something like this? "Dear Lord, I thank you for the oppurtunity to come into your presence by the merits of Jesus. It is a wonderful blessing to call you Father...I wonder where I left my car keys?[no, no back to business.] Heavenly Father, I begin by asking you to watch over all my family-not just in the physical sphere, but in the moral and spiritual dimensions of our lives...Boy, last Sunday's sermon was sure bad. I wonder if I will get that report written on time? [No, no!] Father give real fruitfulness to that missionary couple we support, whatever their name is...Oh my! I had almost forgotten I promised to fix my sons bike today..." Or am I the only one who has had problems with mental drift?"- D.A. Carson, A Call To Spiritual Reformation, Priotities from Paul and His Prayers.
I do not know about you, but I am not that great at praying. I am a majorly guilty in the mental drift department, not only when I am praying alone, but also when I am praying with others. This is something I am trying to work on. Praying more often, but even more so, praying more focused. Reflecting on his word, his glory, his riches, his kingdom come. A few days ago an old family friend came to pick up my Dad to go Mayo clinic conference and he had not met our boys yet, and just before they were to leave he asked to pray for them. A simple gesture, but it really touched me. I get a little wierded out when people want to pray over your kids all the time, touching them, blessing them, blah blah, but this was not strange at all. In fact, it was quite nice.
I have found that I do not pray enough. I also tell people I will pray for them...and then I don't. Or, I just pray for their specific request but that is all. The book I mentioned above is one I am reading through right now. I would really recommend it to anyone who is struggling with prayer, or who just wants to learn more about how and why we should pray.
A few years ago I used to write down praises and prayers in a journal each night while I prayed, it kept me focused and I could reflect in writing what I had read in Gods word. After I had Maxwell though it started to collect dust. Now, I find I have time to do the journal again, and am starting that up again. I hope God will continue to reveal himself to me as I seek to give him glory each day.

3 comments:

sarah said...

You are not alone--I am the same way. This is something I am working on, too. I had been meaning to ask you if this particular book was worth the read--it sounds like it is! I'll have the check it out. The journaling idea is a good one, too. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and struggles!

Ashleigh said...

I find my mind wondering a lot during prayer too. And telling people I'll pray and then not following through at times. It can be a struggle, but one I also want to grow in. Sounds like a good book!

Anonymous said...

I have similar struggles, to be sure. I mentally drift too, for sure. I've tried starting to pray right away after devotions, to keep me focused. There is so much to pray for, I feel overwhelmed about even where to start! But I want to especially be a mother of prayer, so I'm trying to cultivate it now.