Thursday, December 14, 2006

A day at the salon...

I was looking forward to today.
Today was my day.
Ok...I think that whole philosophy of putting "me" first is stupid. Part of the reason I think that there are so many divorces today. We are so selfish.

Anyway...
It does not mean we should neglect ourselves and look and feel terrible.
As a mother of two young children I hardly have any alone time, I am lucky to get a shower each day.

I am not complaining, just merely stating facts.
For my birthday this year (back in August) Justin got me a gift certificate for a really nice salon/spa. He intended for me to use it for a massage, but just four months after having a baby I am not feeling like a massage. So I was going to get my hair-cut or colored or permed(permed sounds so 80's but trust me I did it a few years ago and it turned out well). Most days my hair is up in some strange bedraggled, discombobulated look. I think it is cute, it suits me, and it is easy with my thick hair.

I plan to walk out the door at 12:15, perhaps stop on the way for a coffee, and arrive to my appointment at 1:00. After I came home Justin and I were going to head out with our good friends Chad & Nicole for dinner. I have the boys dressed, fed, and content and I finish getting ready and I am out the door at 12:17...pretty darn good for me...notorious for not being on time. Working on that.
Anyway, I hop into the car, turn the key and nothing. Again. Still nothing.
So I sit there. I know I am not leaving , not getting some thinking time in the car, not getting some good coffee, not getting to my appointment. Soon the door opens and there stands Justin. He claims he knew it was coming. I am the optimist, he is the pessimist. That is why he is never diappointed when things don't work out. I walk in the door and say; "this always happens to me." He wraps his arms around me and I cry. Silly I know but what can I say, I had been looking forward to listening to NPR without inturruption, running into get coffee in under 5 minutes, reaping the benefits of my gift certificate(which now has been reduced since I did not cancel my appointment 24 hours ago). Now I will spend the afternoon typing this, (and getting inturrupted every few minutes by one of the boys) doing laundry, and making dinner for us all.
Ah well such is life. It was a good reminder for me that things don't always go as planned, we are often disappointed in life, but to know and have Christ is far better than a day at the salon.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, so sorry you were disappointed! I missed meeting and spending the day with out-of-town friends once when that happened to me. Sounds like you're working on having the right perspective, it does take work doesn't it, when your heart's set on something.

Did you try jumping the car? I'll be praying it won't be a big expense! That's always my first thought...

Anonymous said...

so sucky... but there's always a reason for things like that...

sarah said...

i hope you get some "me" time soon...its so important, i find, in keeping sanity. i totally understand how a situation like that could make you cry. :( hang in there.

Anonymous said...

Anne, I can so relate to how rare having "me" time is. And, how much we look forward to it when the opportunity arises.

So sorry you weren't able to go, but as Danielle said, sounds like you're trying to have the right perspective. How you're handling it is encouraging and challenging to me. So often I left disappointment get the best of me.

-Ashleigh

Anonymous said...

Awww!!!!!

Bethany said...

I feel for you. What a bummer. If it makes you feel better I have been trying to get to the salon since April. My hair is a mess. HEE HEE.

Anonymous said...

BTW, even though saying you're getting a perm "sounds" 80's, if it works and looks great, who cares! My hair takes an awesome perm. It lasts for over a year, everyone thinks it's natural, and it requires little effort. I'm thinking I'll go back to that after the twins are born. . . If you do end up getting one, you have to show us!