Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Neighbors

One of the best things about owning your own home is that you are not connected to anyone else. Your house is your building, and it sits on your lot. I have to admit though, I will kind of miss no longer having neighbors above, below, or next to us to chuckle at.

My friend
Beth's recent post reminded me of a good story. You should read her story. It is laugh out loud funny.

When Justin and I were first married we lived in a teeny-tiny apartment. His friends David, Danny, and Patrick and brother Jordan would come stay at our small place...and when I think of it know I do not know how we all fit. I swear it was only like 500 square feet. One small bedroom that just fit our bed and a shelf in it. One small bathroom, a galley kitchen and a small living room...which we had a fuse ball table in for some stupid reason. When the guys all left it would smell like guys. If you have ever been to a bachelor pad you know what I mean. It is not exactly bad ( well in some cases it is) but it is not exactly good either. Alright I am getting sidetracked.

One night we were laying in bed, we are total night owls...we would stay up until 2am even when I had to go to work at 4:30. We were settling in under the covers when we hear,

" I came into the room to work this out, and you turn your f&^%$#@ back on me!"

What?

Ok...a little background on our upstairs neighbors. I realize that the above comment could be taken as "Anne, how can you find this humorous?". It was. The neighbors upstairs were older...I would guess in their late 60's. He was a disheveled, messy grey haired, thin man. His voice sounded like Bugs Bunny..."ahhh, whats up doc?" She was short, a bit stocky, had short grey hair, crazy big glasses with black rims, and she always had her fingernails painted black ( to match her glasses?). They were quite the (humorous) sight. Neither of them worked ( as far as we could tell) so they were together literally all the time.

After hearing this, we just looked at each other like this could get interesting.

We hear her murmur something. We cannot make out her words.

"Well, I came into the room, and you turn your F*&^%$#@ back on me!" (In his Bugs Bunny voice)
More murmurs from her.

" I came into the room, and you turned your F*&^%$#@ back on me!"

Now we are laughing. It seemed wrong for us to be laughing at this couple arguing because we should not get joy out of their argument, but it was so ridiculous! It seemed like it would never end! He kept repeating himself, and it sounded like she was trying to explain why she turned her back but he was not getting it!

This went on for a good 45 minutes.

The next night after we arrived home for the evening we were sitting in our living room when we heard him say.

"Hey can you grab me another beer?"

We hear the refrigerator open, steps across the room and a thanks from him.
It seemed all was well again in the Bugs Bunny abode.

5 comments:

Bethany said...

Funny. In our first apartment we had an Opera singer below us good times...a couple that argued behind us and someone that disappeared next to us but was wanted by the FBI. HEE HEE.

Anonymous said...

Good times for sure! I love neighbor stories. you've prompted me to write a second one for the day.

Patrick said...

I resent the implication that I smell, it must have been the rest of them... ;)

Anonymous said...

Okay, I can totally see how that would be humorous. :-)

- Ashleigh

Zoanna said...

Bugs Bunny saying "F&$*@% cracks me up.Your descriptions of their looks KILL me, girl! Do tell more Neighbor Stories. I had a couple of my own inspired by you and Beth.