Thursday, February 01, 2007

Catching up with M.J. & E.J.

You know I have to be honest, there are days where I think to myself, "What am I doing here? How did I end up in Kentucky with no friends or family nearby (not to mention I have no car right now) with two young boys and no idea what to do?" I have always wanted to be a mother (who stayed at home), never wanted a high-profile career, but there are days where I think to myself ,(like the other day when Maxwell was sick and threw up all over himself and me while Evan cried) "Is this it?" I love being able to be home with my boys, we do have a lot of fun together and the good times way outweigh the stressful times. Just an attitude change is what I need, and to make some goals for my self. It is a new year after all, right?! Alright enough of that...Mondays are for complaining you know. Just in case you didn't now you do. I am an expert.

Now about these boys of mine. The boys have adjusted SO well to our new home here in Kentucky. I guess I did not know what to expect; I thought there would be more of an adjustment period, but they jumped right in and are doing really great.

Maxwell is now 2.5 years old. He is quite the toddler, and has been really a joy to have at this age. His fine blond hair and blue eyes are not what we pictured before we met him, but we would not want anything different. He has been working on his basketball skills with Daddy while following their favorite college team (the Fighting Illini...who are doing...well lets just say there have been better days for the Illini team) , and he spends time nearly everyday playing with his trains. He loves those trains. It is so fun to listen to him playing on his train table, his 2 year old imagination running wild.
"Percy, where is James? Go over bridge and to house."
or
"No, No! Look out Salty! Over there!"
He is pretty cute. I swore I would not have a three year old with a pacifier and so far we have weaned him off it during the day. He gets it at night when he goes to bed, but he has been showing signs of getting rid of it completely lately.
Then there is potty training. Two words.
Not Interested.
He is actually scared to sit on his "throne" we got him. No, I take that back he will sit on it with all his clothes on but once those pants come off, there is no way he is sitting on that thing. Sigh.
So, I am reading up on it, a lot of people say not to push it too hard on them but I am going to have to make out a plan to spend a hardcore week of potty-lovin. We will get it done, but for all my young Mom friends out there I am taking ideas, and books that were helpful to you.
I love hearing him get up in the morning and calling out for me or Justin. It is the sweetest sound. He is always willing to give a kiss and hug and never turns down playing with play-doh. His coloring skills are developing as his imagination is growing.
He is pretty compliant. I use the word pretty loosely. He will usually eat what is in front of him. But if you cut in the wrong way, touch it to the wrong food, he tends to lose it. I have noticed he has been copying (Just and I...or any adult for that matter) lately and so if it looks like ours he likes it. He loves his broccoli, yogurt and cheese and crackers. His food ALWAYS has to be in a bowl even if it is a cracker. He only likes certian sippy cups. He has a little of the Justin obssiveness in him. Sometimes he just loses it for no good reason. A toddler thing I guess, but he is a sweet boy for the most part.
We also have been working on memorizing Bible verses. John Piper put out a great little booklet for younger ones with shorter verses for them to memorize. He just repeats the verse after me at this point but he is learning!
When I begin cooking dinner he picks out a DVD; Thomas the Train, Dora the Explorer, and lately it has been Blues Clues (which I have to admit I find entertaining...I know it's sick) and sits on his pile of blankets (since we have no rug yet...rugs are hard to pick out!) with his brother Evan. They are both pretty enthralled with that blue puppy. :)
He is oh so sweet with Evan. When he cries he says; "oh, he's sad." and tries to console him with a pacifier. He is gentle around him and looks lovingly into his face and talks with him, and Evan adores it all. He soaks up every word that comes out of his older brothers mouth.

Speaking of Evan, I cannot believe how old this boy is! He is nearly six months old already! A week after we moved in I looked at him and wondered where the newborn had gone because now I had an infant. His big brown eyes are the best sight in the morning. He always wakes up so peaceful and smiles looking around for someone to "talk" to. He has these legs, that are beyond chubby...they are so fun to just squeeze! He giggles so hard when you do. His hair is coming in darker, much darker than Maxwell's blond that came in around this age. It is so interesting to compare the two and see how different they really are.
Evan loves to be constantly held, it is hard to get housework done with him around! But mostly I don't mind, because I know these times will be gone before I know it. When I do set him down he is rolling all over the room searching for things to grab and put in his mouth. Maxwell did not put anything in his mouth...never has, but Evan, he wants it all in there. Just the other night he was trying to stuff a newspaper Justin was reading in.
His smile is to die for, it really makes my days. He smiles so much his chubby cheeks must hurt!

It really is true how fast your children grow. Mine are not even that old yet but I know they will be off to college before I know it. Crazy to think about that! These are the days!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet post. Kids adjust really well usually to moving. I moved 13 times with my family from the age of 6-14 and don't remember particularly having issues with it. It was always adventure. I hope YOU'RE adjusting okay.

I loved hearing about the boys and how they spend there days with you. That's great you know to treasure these times now. They're such cuties!

Anonymous said...

What a great post you have there. You took me right into your little life. Very nice! Sounds fun.

Bethany said...

Hang in there Anne!! I know how you are feeling...moving when my kids were about the same ages. It was tough that first year...honestly. But it gets better and I am sure Kentucky will feel like home for you. Loved hearing about your little guys too. So sweet. If it makes you feel better Jude is still not potty trained. With boys you just gotta wait until they are ready. And new brother and a new move he might need a little more time before experiencing another change. Don't worry he won't be 12 and still in a diaper. ;)

I can't believe how big your little Evan is getting. He is so adorable. Time does go so fast. Too fast.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to chat with you about the potty training thing. DON'T STRESS! Don't read books, buy books or search online. Everyone is right when they say that they will get it when they are ready. Gabe was 3 years and 3 months when he was pretty much potty trained. He'll be 4 in April and he every once in a while truly forgets about going to the potty while he is playing and has small accidents. There is more to worry about in life :-)

Ashleigh said...

Anne, Olivia's not potty trained either. I keep trying. Some days she's interested and other days she's not. While I've been at my parents house, I've tried using one of those potty cushions that fits on the toliet. Because it's a Disney Princess one and it's really like being a big girl, Olivia seems to like it. So I'm going to take it home with me and see if I can get her to use it more consistently there. Right now most of the time she's simply not interested in the potty.

What is the name of that book by John Piper?

Ashleigh said...

Oh, I forgot to add we're still weaning Olivia off the pacifier too. She only gets it at naptime and bedtime. She only likes one of the pacifiers we have, so I'm hoping when it gets yucky enough, she'll decide to give it up on her own. We'll see. Ava never liked the pacifier and I'm glad. :-) Won't have to wean her off it. Although, I'm still trying to get her to drink milk out of a cup. She doesn't want to give up the bottle and formula.

anne said...

Asleigh, The booklet by J.P. is called Foundation Verses. It is a small booklet bound by a ring. It is really great and the verses are short enough for younger ones.

Zoanna said...

Loved this post! You drew me right into your homelife. All we stay-at-home moms have probably felt exactly the way you describe ("Is this it?") but wouldn't change it for the world. I can almost still feel the "beyond chubby" legs of my babies and learned from not snuggling them enough (so that I could get stuff done) that pretty soon they don't want snuggle time and they're off. It's a differetn world w/ Joel. We snuggle all the time. Potty training? Don't do it right now. He's given up an old house, let him keep his poop in the diaper. Kids see "flushing" or "dumping" as losing a big part of themselves (and sometimes a very big part, heee heee hee). Ditto the pacifier right now. I'd worry if he was taking his binky to the DMV to get his license, but I don't think he's at risk right now. Thanks for the Piper title. Exactly what I've been thinking on lately.

Zoe said...

Wow, What a sweet post! Thank you for sharing your love for your boys!