Wednesday, February 28, 2007

To Infiniti and beyond....

First of all I have to preface this with this; I cannot believe that Beth posted about this very same thing. I began my post this morning but my blogged was "locked" because blogger is checking to see if really people are posting on blogs, blah, blah... so I had to save it as a draft until now. Anyway,check out her post here. She is so great!

So every once in awhile lil' ol' me needs a bit of a reality check.
Yes, moi'.
I sometimes get caught up in stupid things.
Stupid, I know.

I can justify buying almost anything. There have been plenty of times I have walked away from things but more so than not I tend to just go for it. I like to shop, this is a known fact.
I have had 6 strollers. Yes, I said 6. I have not bought any since Evan has been born, and I say that with a sense of accomlishment. I am seeing more and more that I will have to get a double stroller, even though I loathe the idea. Evan is getting heavy to carry in a bjorn or sling, and it is hard to manage Max that way. So, eventually.

Point is I had a travel system, jogger, two umbrella strollers and a really nice (and expensive) lightweight Peg Prego stroller. I have sold two umbrellas strollers, and donated the travel system but I still own three strollers. Do I even need three, no. But I have them. I always complain to myself about how much money we waste, people waste, but what about me? All those strollers were a waste. Granted people are using them still but I wasted our money on them all. Money that could have been much better spent, donated to missions, or just for other needs of ours, or even into a college fund for our boys.
Justin is VERY good at saving. He spends nothing. He puts gas in his car and eats out for lunch sometimes during the week. I am usually pretty good about consulting him before I buy things (unless it is tolietpaper or something like that).

He and I make a pretty good balance though.
This past week he has been calling me "Infiniti."
He thinks the name (which is the same name as the type of car I now drive) is suiting me well. Everytime I talk to him about buying something for our house, he says, " Not now Infiniti lady."
A good reminder to be content that I did just get a new car, and that things can wait. Because they are just things after all.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hysterical. I only have one stroller. HA!

Seriously, good post. It's so funny that we are currently going through the same thing in life. It's good to be reminded that there are other losers, I mean, nerds...well, umm...chicas that spend too much sometimes. Totally kidding. I'm in a rare mood today. Maybe I should stay off the comments box.

Thank the Lord for His kind reminders to get back to reality and to what's important in life.

Ashleigh said...

Okay, I have three strollers. An umbrella, a double, and a single. Guess I could get rid of the single, huh? Although, it's broken -- so I'm not sure if anyone would really want it.

Anyway, love the "Not now infiniti lady." Too funny! And great reminders from both you and Beth.

Bethany said...

I have 3 strollers but two are broken. HEE HEE.

Hey are your reading Madame Bovary for this month is book club? The story is at its root dealing with contentment...obviously Emma is over the top and hers tends to be in her marriage and desires but can be applied. This book is the inspiration for the Madame Blueberry veggie tales show...who shops and shops till her house is so full it falls apart. Anyhow, sometimes it helps me to see things made fun of in a sense or over the top and then my faults that might not be as obvious become obvious to me.

PS I like to shop too. I just tend to go in waves where I save save save and then I blow up and go nuts. So I am right there with ya...I just do it a little different but it is still bad.

Anonymous said...

I will eventually be happy to use your hand-me-downs!! Not quite yet of course, but hopefully in the kinda nearer future. You crack me up my friend! I really miss shopping with you! P.s. I like your new layout, super cute!
miss you

Zoanna said...

"Infiniti lady". That's funny. I have this tendency to brag to my husband (in a justifying way) how much money I saved when buying such and such. He always comes back with, "You still spent." Gulp. I beleive there is a theme here in Christian blogland among us. The lORd's been convicting me about how often i use the word "love" with material things. I love my stand mixer, I love this writing desk, I love my van, etc.
I need a fresh vocabulary,as in "I like this very much," or I'm so thankful for this, etc.

Zoanna said...

PS I have 2 strollers. My baby has been walking for 3 years. Think it's time to let it go?