Monday, April 21, 2008
I got a new cookbook: The Best of America's Test Kitchen 2007. (also check out their site.) It rocks. I tried these enchilada's last week, and they were SOOOO yum. Served it with rice and tortilla chips. A great make ahead meal for you, or a great meal to give to someone in need of one. :)
1 (29 oz. can) tomato sauce
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 onion, chopped (approx. 1/2 cup)
1 canned chipotle chilie in adobe sauce
1 teas. ground cumin
1 teas. ground coriander
1/4 teas. salt
1/2c. low-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon veg. oil
3 cups shredded cooked chicken
10 oz. shredded M. Jack cheese (2.5 cups)
1/3 c. chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons miced pickled jalapeno chilies
10 (6 inch) corn tortillas
Veg oil spray.
1. Blend tomato sauce, onion, garlic, chipotle, cumin, coriander, salt, and broth in blender until smooth. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add tomato mixture, bring to boil, reduce heat to low and simmer until mixture is reduced to about 3.5 cups, about 8-10 minutes. Transfer to bowl and refrigerate until cool. About 1 hour.
2. Heat oven to 300 degrees and have oven rack in middle position. Toss 3/4 cup of the sauce with chicken, 1 cup of the cheese, cilantro, and jalapenos.
3. place 5 tortillas on a ackin sheet and lightly coat both sides with veg oil spray. Bake the tortillas until just pliable, about 2 minutes. Working quickly, transfer 1 tortilla at a time to a work surface , fill with 1/3 c. of chicken mix and roll tightly. Transfer, seam side down to a large plate. Repeadt warming and rolling process with remaining tortillas. Place plate in freezer until tortillas are frozen, at least 1 hour.
4. Place the remaining sauce in freezer safe container and press two layers of plastic wrap directly unto the surface of the sauce. Tightly wrap enchiladas in bundles of 5 first in plastic wrap, then foil. Freeze for up to 2 months!
5. when ready to serve: adjust oven to middle position, and heat to 350 degrees. Defrost ench. sauce in micro on defrost setting (approx. 12 minutes).
6. Coat 9x13 oan with veg. oil sprayu. Arrange frozen enchiladas in a single layer in pan and coat tops with veg. oil spray. Bake until tops of tortillas are beginning to flake, about 20 mins. remove dish from ove, top enchiladas with 1.5 cups of sauce, and bake 10 more minutes. Sprinkle enchiladas with remaining 1.5 cups of cheese and bake until cheese melts and the center of the casserole is hot and bubbly. 3-5 min. approx. Serve passing remaining sauce seperately. top with sour cream and green onion if you so choose! Enjoy!